Tuesday, February 11, 2014

30 Things Series 25

If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be and what would you eat?

I've been thinking about this for like, two days! And only one person comes to mind.

That person is Emma Hale Smith. Her life totally fascinates me! A while back I went on an 'Emma Smith kick' and read every book I could get my hands on about Emma and her life. She is one of my major role models and I would LOVE to sit with her and just talk, talk about anything and everything!
It completely astounds me how this woman kept her relationship with the Lord through all of the terrible trials she had to go through. She almost never had her home to herself, her and Joseph were always taking people in, which is great. But you'd think that would start to wear on you after a while. But she never complained, she did what she knew she should and had to do.
She had so many children, and half of them didn't survive to adolescence.
She had to watch her husband go through SO much tragedy and persecution.
I'm sure her heart broke a thousand times too many but she never lost her testimony. She never turned her back on her husband or the church. She stayed strong and she had the faith that the Lord would give her power to withstand her trials in life. How great is that?

Saying all of this about Emma makes her sound like some sort of super-human, but I'm sure she had her times of anger. I'm sure she had times just like you and me where we are just too emotionally tried and physically drained that we just want to give up, but the point is that she never did give up! And that's why I look up to her so much. She endured! And she did it well.

Now, on to food. Thinking about the time in which Emma lived, I'm sure she never had an opportunity to try Mexican food. So I think that would be a grand thing to have at our imaginary dinner.
Burritos, tacos, enchiladas, salsa (I have a special place in my heart, and stomach, for salsa), tamales, rice, quesadillas, oh the joy that comes from food that is Mexican!

No comments:

Post a Comment